From Mirror to Chalkboard

I really enjoy up-cycling items. I find that it can be scary when I take on a project I’ve never done before. But on the other hand it’s very rewarding and a great learning experience (especially if the project had some difficulties). 

The first project I took on was an old chair.

 chair

This poor chair was chewed on and smelled like mice had used it as a bathroom. Not very pleasant, but had potential. With help from my dad and my grandma, we were able to turn this chair into this chair….

chair-2

That was my first project. Turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. No, I will not be making a blog post about that chair since it was a few years ago and I don’t have many pictures to go with it.

Another project I did, which was extremely simple, was turning an old fruit crate into a DVD case. I didn’t have to do much, just nail hangers onto the back. I’m putting this in here to just give you an example of easy upcycle projects to begin with. Here it is…

dvd-case

Now, onto the main topic. When we moved into our house the previous owner had left a large mirror on the wall. I really liked the mirror, but had other plans for it. I decided to take it off the wall (which it was held on by 4 screws….it’s a heavy mirror), paint it, and put in a new location (the last step requires my husband’s help when he gets home from work). Here’s a picture of the mirror before I painted:

img_1904

I wanted to paint the frame with a chalk paint and I just so happened to have this paint in my cupboard:

img_1931 img_1932

So, I cleaned the wood frame with just a damp cloth. I let it air dry and applied 2 coats of the chalky paint. I did allow it time to dry between coats as it’s directed via the paint manufacturer. Once the paint was completely dry I used painters tape to protect the frame. I then cleaned the glass on the mirror with just a cloth for windows such as this one. When the taping and cleaning was complete I applied 3 coats of chalkboard paint. I used a small roller to accomplish this. I am not 100% satisfied with the texture. there are still some small air bubbles that I couldn’t smooth out. Oh well, adds character to it.

After the paint was all dry I removed the tape. I noticed that I had somehow managed to get black chalkboard paint on the frame so I needed to do a little bit of touching up. 

All in all, I’m satisfied with the outcome. It’ll be a beautiful addition to my old farmhouse.

img_1929

Here’s a closeup of the frame:

img_1930

So, if you are considering taking on a new project, go for it! Have fun and enjoy your craftiness!

Leave a Reply