We don’t eat commercial cereal, and we try to stay away from processed foods. However, kids love cereal for breakfast, and it is a quick and easy way to start the day. So, I have started making home made granola cereal. It is a delicious alternative to store bought cereal, and it is a wonderful topping on a fruit parfait (which my kids enjoy having for supper quite often).
If you don’t have all of the dry ingredients, you can skip them and/or add more of another one. We regularly skip the sunflower seeds just because we don’t always have them on hand.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/3 cup applesauce (or coconut oil or butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour the wet mixture over the dry mix to combine. Spread on a greased pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack, and store in airtight container. Add raisins before storing.
- You can also dry can the granola for longer term storage.
We like to enjoy it with some vanilla almond milk. Occasionally, the kids even get the treat of dark chocolate almond milk for their granola.