We love monkey bread, but I don’t love buying biscuits in a can. I got this brilliant (at least I feel it’s brilliant) idea to just make my own biscuits for monkey bread. I tried it last week and it was a hit!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 1/4 cups flour (I used unbleached white all purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter (we used homemade butter that's unsalted)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- Add all the ingredients into bread machine in the above order. Select the dough cycle.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- After the bread machine has done all of the hard work, cut the dough into smallish pieces. They should be about 2 inches square (or close to square....it doesn't really make a difference). Put the pieces into a combination of sugar and cinnamon. The well-coated pieces are then thrown into a greased bunt cake pan that has a layer of pure maple syrup on the bottom.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until they are a beautiful golden brown.
- Put the bread onto a plate and served it HOT with butter to dip the pieces in.
In the words of my 4 year old, “This is scrumptious!”
Here’s the finished product….
Now I’ve been instructed to try making it with whole wheat flour. Since I don’t have a wheat grinder, yet, I won’t be trying this. I challenge you to give it a try….and PLEASE share with us how it turns out!